what's happened to the kernel-sourcecode RPM.

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Sep 22 16:54:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 05:36:01PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> There is now a SRPM for the kernel sources, eg,
>
> http://ftp.belnet.be/linux/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.8-1.541.src.rpm

It always was.  Nothing changed here from the first distribution
which used an rpm packaging.

> However, I tried to patch the kernel using this and retired baffled from the
> field.

How did you try to do that?  A correct way, if you really need
patched sources and not just data in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
which most likely you are really after, is to install that src.rpm
with 'rpm -i ...' followed by 'rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec' in your
SPECS directory.  You will end up with properly patched sources in
your BUILD.

This was already discussed on this list a few times including
explanations how not to use a 'root' account for this.

  Michal