Wierd logging in problem

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 06:54:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is a really strange problem. I think I know what is going on, but
unsure how to remedy the situation.

When I did the install, I partitioned the main drive so that /usr
and /web were on different partitions. FC3t2 created the other
partitions and did the rest.

Gets to the end, reboot, I create user paul and login happily. I also
create users bev and richard, so everything was the same as the old
system.

I've next added more drives, as they're 120Gb jobs, these too have been
partitioned. I have a new home directory on /dev/hdb1 and alter fstab to
say that /home is now /dev/hdb1 and insert the other partitions on the
other drives also info fstab (in total, there is hdb1 & 2, hdg1 & 2 and
hdh1 on the drives - hdh1 is a massive backup drive).

When I reboot, I have all sorts of problems getting into my area (lots
of problems with applets on the panel bar and my Liver bird backdrop). I
can also not logout. When I do a ctrl backspace, I am returned to login
screen and then can log in normally - everything reappears and works
normally. Okay, the sound needs to be fiddled with, but other than that,
it's all fine.

Is the problem that /home/paul still exists on /dev/hda2 and the system
is getting confused or something else?

TTFN

Paul
--
Homer: Donut?
Lisa: No, thanks. Do you have any fruit?