Reiser4

Tracy R Reed treed at ultraviolet.org
Wed Sep 22 01:04:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:19:51AM +0200, Matias Feliciano spake thusly:
> Le sam 18/09/2004 à 18:03, Manu Abraham a écrit :
> > > Just out of curiosity, why would you want reiser4 in FC3?
> > 		Reiser4 sounds cool, that's why.
> > > It's not ready.  It's unclear as to whether its concepts are even a good
> > > idea, despite the Namesys marketing propaganda.
> > 		what makes one think so ?

I really look forward to being able to user reiser4 with FC. It would make
sense for FC to prefer reiser4 over reiser3 because SE Linux will work on
reiser4 due to its support of xattrs.

And in general I see reiser4 being the Linux answer to WinFS and all that
other stuff MS has been promising us for years and years. Surely ext3
isn't the end of evolution in filesystems. I look forward to filesystems
becoming more flexible and more like general purpose databases which can
be extended in a modular fashion with plugins and reiser4 seems to fit
that bill.

--
Tracy Reed                     The attachment is a digital signature.
http://copilotconsulting.com   More info: http://copilotconsulting.com/sig