FC3T2 and XComposite

Lars terraformers at gmx.net
Thu Sep 23 16:10:36 UTC 2004

Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Anybody tried out the xcomposite extensions under xorg-x11-6.8.1 yet?
> I would like to experiment but do not quite understand what is needed.
>
> I tried adding an entry 'Section "Extensions"' to xorg.conf but
> this only resulted in windows with green borders and slow/shaky
> X performance.
>
> Do you need some sort of 'compositor' like xcompmgr or is there
> some 'stealth' tool in FC3T2 to manage the extensions?
>
> Alexander

hi
im running it with the xcompmgr and it's working great with nvidia
hw acceleration.

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf i had to add:

Section "Extensions"
 Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

and in the nvidia device section of the same file:

Option       "RenderAccel" "on"

after restarting X one needs the xcompmgr
get it with:
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at cvs.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xapps login
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at pdx.freedesktop.org:/cvs/xapps co xcompmgr

make it, and start it with "xcompmgr -c -f -F" when X is running.
now you should get nice eye candy,
like dropshadows and that great fading effect.
:)

i guess other graphic cards work with this too, but i dont know
how good their hw accelerated render extensions are.
minor thing that doesn't work here are opengl windows.
they have bad overlays and tend to crash the xcompmgr.
but nvidia said that they are working to refine the hw extensions
in their driver.

hope this helps
lars