Bacula dependancy of libc5 --whatprovides no clue

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Sep 23 18:20:26 UTC 2004

Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> writes:

>> > Are you sure that you build that from sources?
>>
>> No not from `source' but as I said from `*.src.rpm.'

> Eh?  Could you explain that subtle difference?  This is akin to
> saying "No, I did not build that from sources.  I used
> 'source.tar.gz' for that."   I have to admit that it escapes me
> why differences in packaging are important for you.  Would be
> that opposite if you got that as .deb?

Not sure what yor are talking about there...

My response wasn't supposed to be weird or a wise crack or etc.
When you said `>> > Are you sure that you build that from sources?'

I thought you must be asking if I had built it like
./configure
make
make install

Where I might have used some tricky variables or whatever.

I was simply saying I built it with rpmbuild -ba .spec from the
*.src.file so using whatever is in .spec.

Probably should have used the word `rebuilt'

>> Do you think I could just remove that requires...
>
> I have no idea.  I have not a clue why and how it got there.
> If somebody just listed it under 'Requires:' tag and it still
> compiles on FC then yes, you indeed can and should.

It just appears like:
Requires: coreutils, util-linux, libc5, bacula-fd
Any way removing it allows the packages produced to install ok.

I don't really know how to use it yet so not really sure its working.

There is one thing else that strikes me as wrong or odd.

rpmbuild -ba .spec built these:
 bacula-client-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm     bacula-mysql-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm
 bacula-debuginfo-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm  bacula-rescue-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm
 bacula-gconsole-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm   bacula-updatedb-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm

Subtracting the debug pkg.  And all but one installs with no problems.
   bacula-client-1.34.6-1.i386.rpm
produces this error:

 rpm -Uvh bacula-client-1.34.6-1.i38
 6.rpm
 error: Failed dependencies:
        bacula-client conflicts with bacula-mysql-1.34.6-1

I don't get that, but maybe its because I don't understand how to use
it yet.  Maybe the client package is meant to be installed elsewhere.