NVIDIA drivers

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Mon Sep 27 20:18:31 UTC 2004

Nave, Ronald wrote:

>As of my latest update to FC3-test2 on 9/27/2004  , The
>NVIDIA-Linux-1.0-6111 driver still does not load properly on start up.

If I'm not mistaken, this problem (no driver autoloading)  is caused by
the changed to udev.  I think they are working on this.

>It is necessary to run the installation program each time the machine is
>booted.

You should only need to re-run the nvidia installer after a kernel upgrade.

>Also it is necessary to run   /sbin/modprobe  nvidia   manually to get the
>nvidia module to load.
>
>Once the installation process is repeated  X windows will respond to
>startx and the machine
>runs OK.

Workaround #1

modify /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit where it says
echo -n $"Initializing hardware... "

ide=""
scsi=""
network=""
audio=""
other="nvidia" <--- add this

Pros: rhgb will use the nvidia driver (which is kind of useless)
Cons: upgrading the initscript package may remove the modification.

Workaround #2

now rhgb accepts an alternate configuration file (/etc/rhgb/xorg.conf )
so now you can use the safe x.org driver "nv" for rhgb

and call "modprobe nvidia" from /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Pros: rhgb will use the x.org driver, upgrading initscript will not
change the setting
Con: a little more work

>It also appears that  up2date and yum are not working properly.
>
>Both yum and up2date will startup , but they are so slow that they are
>nearly useless.
>
>For some reason I can use Mozilla and go directly to the yum mirror server
>and then manually download the new RPM files using FTP and then install
>using  rpm -Uvh   *.rpm.
>
>Perhaps there are so many people updating that yum and up2date can not
>handle the load.

I also experienced some connection problem a few days ago while trying
to upgrade (rawhide) using both yum and up2date. I tried a few hours
later and it worked fine, so I ssume was a connection problem on my
side. But now that you mention it, I did download RPMS from the
repository using the browser....weird.

--
Ricardo Veguilla