Where can I get kernel-source pacakge for kernel-2.6.8-1.541?

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 28 03:03:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 19:50, N.A. wrote:
> > I would STRONGLY suggest creating your own .rpmmacros file before
> > doing any src.rpm installation so you can define an rpm staging area
> > in your user's home directory instead of being root user and using
> > /usr/src/redhat/  for the src.rpm operations.
>
> May I know why? Security reason?

Exactly. While Arjan's kernel RPMs are unlikely to do anything
particularly horrible, spec file bugs can clobber your system if you run
rpmbuild as root, and there is really no reason to do so. Thus it just
makes more sense to build RPMs as a regular user, and just install them
as root. (If you're really anal about it, you can even have a special
user for building RPMs, just to make sure that it can't clobber anything
important at all.) That way certain packaging errors are not only
harmless, they can also easily be seen in the build process.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University