HelixPlayer (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

Glen Kim ogle at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 7 00:44:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 15:52 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 08:58:12 -0400, Richard Ramson wrote:
>>
>>> Does HelixPlayer work?  When I tried to use it, I got the message that
>>> I had to use Realplayer.  Has anyone ever been able to get HelixPlayer
>>> to work without Realplayer?
>>
>> Please don't top-post.
>>
>> Yes, HelixPlayer works for the media formats it supports, e.g. Ogg Vorbis
>> Theora.
>
> Which of course begs the question, why does Helix Player offer to play
> real media formats if it doesn't support them?

Actually, it prompts the question (sorry, grammatical anal-retentiveness).
As for the reason why, I think this press release explains it all:

http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/real_redhat.html

Personally, I don't get why Fedora doesn't go with Totem and drop Helix.
Is Fedora obligated to uphold the same agreement?  The way I see it, Helix
Player just isn't in demand.  see:

http://www.bash.org/?478519

Glen.