fc4t2 install/ minor problems

Al Kroeger owaugly at xmission.com
Tue Apr 12 11:03:34 UTC 2005

I did a network install of fc4t2 last night.  It took about 20 minutes,
including a couple of honey-do interruptions, to get the pre-install
stuff done.... language, source, and so on.  I first tried to
net-install from a mirror... mirrors.xmission.com... but the installer
couldn't fine 'stage2.img' on that site.  So, I did a net-install from
download.fedora.redhat.com.  At about 7:15 it began the
download/install.  I went to bed about 8:30, and it was about 56%.  When
I got up at 3:00, it was ready to reboot...... talk about a painless
install.
A few minor issues;
I had to reset the modem and router in order to connect to the
internet.  No biggie, but this is the first time I've had to do that
after an install.
I'm not at all familiar with yum.  I've always used apt/synaptic.  If I
do #yum update, it returns a message about public.gpg.key  If I could
install thunderbird via yum, I could cut/paste the exact error message.
Firefox works, but Thunderbird was not installed.  I guess it needs to
be installed separately.  Frankly, I prefer the Mozilla-suite, but....
whatever.
OpenOffice starts to launch, then disappears.  If I launch it from a
command line, I get no error message.  Just a blinking curser for a bit,
and then returns to the $prompt.
First boot, and subsequent reboots to fc4 have been uneventful.
I was able to install RealPlayer10GOLD and hook up to my favorite jazz
station, so all will be well.  Just work out the kinks.
Any feedback ref the yum thing and OpenOffice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
owa