FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 13 15:09:36 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 16:11 -0700, Dana Lacoste wrote:
> > And logic would then add, in my mind,
> >
> > "OK, for the real performance, I use a real RAID controller
> > and for cheap efficiency I use the simple RAID that the
> > motherboard has onboard, which is precisely the thing that
> > grub has the most trouble with [this avoids the >2TB issue
> > and goes right to the software raid issue]"
>
> Wait a tic, you're trying to use the "raid" that is onboard those
> desktop and cheap server boards?  That is winraid, not software raid and
> it is not supported by Linux.  Real Linux Software Raid is a far better
> solution than using a winraid chip.  Of course grub is having problems
> with winraid....

If the drive is on the controller and configured, and it
works properly as a drive, there should be no reason you
should not be allowed to boot from the drive if BIOS will
allow you to boot from that drive.

How do you know for sure what RAID is on his motherboard?

Compaq used to ship Proliants with there SmartArray 2 controller
on board which is a Dual Port LVD SCSI Array Controller, far
from winraid.