A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 14 01:11:03 UTC 2005

  I'd like to make a suggestion to those other than John Morris who have
posted to this thread railing against grub.  Read John's post (the first
one titled 'A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues' and
study it HARD.
  And then thank him.
  Why?  Because HIS rant got at least my attention for one reason[1].
And that is that he didn't start off by directly insulting developers.
You want help?  You want attention to whatever problems you are having?
You darn well better show some decency and respect to those from you are
looking for help FOR FREE and not refer to them as morons or other
slurs.  Sure it won't *guarantee* help if John is correct in his rant
(though I make no judgment in favor or against what he described at this
time), but it will most definitely guarantee that you do get ignored
when you insult people.
  This isn't about inflated egos.  It's about basic self respect.  You
wanna push someone around, then go back to the schoolyard.  Or maybe a
Debian mailing list ;-).

[1] Not only did it get my attention, but it convinced me that lilo does
in fact need to still be included at least for FC4, but should the
problems that are now claimed to be fixed, truly BE fixed in the latest
version of grub, then lilo should, finally, disappear from FC5.  The
point being that the software RAID 1 bug was JUST purportedly fixed (and
needs testing).  Lilo should be included until FC4 gets wider (non-
testing) exposure.  But I do believe that lilo support should be removed
from the installer, but release notes (or some entry in a Wiki) could be
provided for doing an install and then, before the reboot, manually
installing lilo and running it.  That release note should also strongly
urge anyone who has to take those steps to file bugs with *detailed*
information about their hardware and configuration.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator