Where is Cyrus-Imapd

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 14 01:22:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 17:58 -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 07:52 +0200, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>
> > BUT: I found cyrus-imapd neither in core nor in extras!
>
> <sigh> An excellent IMAP server which solves the problem of server-side
> filtering in an elegant fashion and can handle extreme loads, and it's
> excluded from the distro.
>
> <shakes head in disbelief>

  Awe, come on now.  I'm a cyrus-imapd bigot.  I LOVE cyrus-imapd,
despite some of it's (relatively minor, IMO) peculiarities.  But even I
understand (and frankly, agree with) it being excluded.  Cyrus-imapd is
a complex beast.  Not on the level of Oracle, but when combined with all
the components that make it the most useful (ldap, a web gui config
tool, kerberos or hashed secrets, etc.) it comes close to MS Exchange,
but makes you feel a lot less...*shudder*...dirty.  (Yes, I know -- no
integrated calendar.)
  Dovecot was introduced to rid the distro uw-imap (thankfully) and
fills that role quite nicely (from what I've heard...I don't actually
USE it).  How do you configure cyrus-imapd to work with system accounts
*out of the box* without any extra steps for the system administrator
when adding accounts?  It's probably doable, but just too darn complex
and possibly a maintenance nightmare.
  I prefer a sealed mail server with multi-domain capability, so will
likely always stick to cyrus-imapd, even if I have to revert to Simon
Mater's (excellent) rpms like I did before it was included in the
distro.  No big deal, really.
  It seems to me that cyrus-imapd is most suitable for extras.  I hope
that that does happen.  If no one picks it up (but it sounds like
someone else might), then I might still consider being the maintainer,
but I really don't think it's a big loss for Core.  It's specialized
enough (and independent enough -- i.e.: nothing depends on it), that
adding it doesn't cause much pain.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator