The new GRUB: A useful test!

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Thu Apr 14 03:21:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:44, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> Question is, am I deceiving myself?  Am I still actually using the old grub
> installed on the boot sector of /dev/sda?

Probably.  Take a working LILO system and do "grub-install --recheck
/dev/md0".  Look at the first few bytes of a physical drive and
you'll still see LILO, e.g.

# od -c /dev/hde | head -1
0000000   ë   H 220   l   b   a   L   I   L   O 001  \0 025 004   Z  \0

I expect you'll have to issue an install at the grub command line before
it touches the MBR.  I've been searching the grub docs for a definition
of the new RAID support and finding zilch.

--Mike Bird