FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Apr 14 21:15:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-13-04 at 19:25 -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
>
> >Bull crap.
> >
> >Everyone else probably gave up or found some other way around
> >the problem.
> >
> >Why would I or anyone else enter a new bug report for a bug
> >that is already duplicated a bunch of times. I am sure there
> >are dozens of people who have the same complications that don't
> >post duplicate bug reports.
> >

> With all the due respect, but did you *ever* programmed anything?
> Debugging any program without lots of data isnt very easy (I'd say it
> comes close to impossible , specially if you cant replicate the issue on
> your machine or any machine you have access to). Even if you provide
> duplicated data , you are probably helping to define a pattern that
> could show what the problem is.

As a mater of fact yes.

I have been programming since 1980.

I started writing, patching, customizing and porting UNIX
software in 1995. I have software that I customized personally,
with no outside help, that a number of ISP's are still using
today. I have patched it when bugs showed up, but for over
three years no there have not been any bugs.

I have also supported a number of mainstream open source
projects, providing many patches and bug fixes. I have even
submitted bug fixes to Redhat that were accepted and
implemented {although no credit was ever given to me}.

Being a perfectionist, I test the heck out of my programs
before releasing them. I run many simulations and scenarios
testing with good data and configurations as well as bad data
and poor configurations, until I break it. Then I fix it so
it won't break anymore. Once I can't get it to break, I then
and only then consider it ready for testing. Once it has
survived rigorous testing for at least one full month, I
then consider it ready for deployment.

> >I am willing to guess that like me many people have opted for
> >booting off a drive attached to slower onboard PATA device,
> >because that was the only way they could get there machine to
> >run. Each time I installed a new drive or replace a drive with
> >a larger one, grub would fail and it only reports a stupid
> >*error number*. What good is that! Lookup the error number
> >and all it meant was that it could not find a requested file,
> >but gave no indication what file or device it was looking for
> >the file on. Are you seriously going to tell me that only 5
> >people have got the arcane error number after changing a non
> >boot drive?
> >

> Considering the number of different people that report bugs on bugzilla
> , I'm starting to believe that only those 5 people got that arcane error
> you mentioned... Btw , in which circunstances it happens?????
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo
Are you saying only 5 people have ever got the "Error 15" message?
Really, you jest!