FC4t2 no good without LILO

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 15 02:40:58 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> said:
> 3) To transition from using Lilo to using Grub requires grub-install, or
> a lot of very delicate work with a magnetised needle in a clean room.

I have never used grub-install manually.  The few times I have installed
GRUB manually, I just ran the GRUB shell (i.e. "grub" at a shell prompt)
and told it what I wanted directly (I didn't worry about what it
probed).

For example, if I needed /dev/sdb to be bootable (before moving it to
another system or removing the current /dev/sda for example) and /boot
was /dev/sdb1, I did (in grub):

device (hd0) /dev/sdb
root (hd0,0)
setup --prefix=/grub (hd0)

For "expert" users, the grub shell is easy and is the way to go.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>