K8N-E Deluxe + SATA: install OK

Rajmund Krivec Rajmund.Krivec at ijs.si
Sat Apr 16 10:16:05 UTC 2005

I made a partial installation of FC4-test2 on Asus K8N-E Deluxe
with nVidia nForce3 250gb chipset, two SATA disks (I think RAID is
disabled in BIOS).

Disks were recognized (as /dev/sd*, not /dev/hd*).
Anaconda this time behaved very nice.
I didn't try the on-board gigabit NIC (I also have a Realtek anyway).

PROBLEMS (?)
    I powered off when second CD was requested (since I simply
    didn't burn it). I could boot XP afterwards but the existing FC2
    got stuck. Powered off, waited, it appeared; inserted the
    new FC4/ext3 partition in FC2's fstab, FC2 then complained
    fsck.ext3 is too old to validate; removed from fstab.

    So it won't be possible to mount FC2 ext3 partitions in FC4?

HISTORY:
    I have a working FC2 installation. FC3 could not be installed,
    did not see disks. FC2 kernel upgrade: did not see disks
    anymore too.

RANT:
    All's well that ends well?
        (1) I hope when FC4 comes out it will not lose disks again?
        (3) I hope the spread of Linux will bring about social
            responsibility: the "now you see disks, now you don't"
            approach is unacceptable

Best regards,
    Rajmund