Running Core 4 on laptop

Jay Turner jkt at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 07:24:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 09:14:30PM -0700, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> I have an older Sony Vaio laptop that I'd like to devote solely to Linux
> Core 4. Problem is, I only have modem access on it (not broadband) and I
> have no CD player for it, just a USB port.
>
> Before I go buy a used accessory just to install the OS, is there any way
> that you know of that I could download Core 4 to an external USB hard drive
> through my PowerBook laptop broadband connection, then move the external USB
> hard drive to the Vaio and install from the external USB drive?

FC4 does indeed support installing from an external USB drive, but I
suspect the problem you're going to find is that the Vaio itself doesn't
support booting from a USB device.  Depending on what OS you currently have
on the machine (if any) there are other options which might work for you.
If you have Windoze on the box already, you might want to check out
"linload" which will allow you to load a kernel image from a DOS partition.

- jkt
--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat, Inc.

          If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z,
     X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein