Running Core 4 on laptop

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Apr 18 14:42:44 UTC 2005

man, 18.04.2005 kl. 06.14 skrev Adam Boettiger:
> Hello,
>
> I have an older Sony Vaio laptop that I'd like to devote solely to Linux
> Core 4. Problem is, I only have modem access on it (not broadband) and I
> have no CD player for it, just a USB port.
>
> Before I go buy a used accessory just to install the OS, is there any way
> that you know of that I could download Core 4 to an external USB hard drive
> through my PowerBook laptop broadband connection, then move the external USB
> hard drive to the Vaio and install from the external USB drive?
>
> AB

I did install RH9 on a laptop wich had nothing but floppy and pcmcia
ethernet. That was quite easy (boot from floppy with the correct floppy
disk(s) - is that possible after linux 2.6?), and then ftp install (i
only had a windows machine aviable at that time, so no NFS. But a mac
should be able to host a NFS share with the .iso's).

But the easyest solution in your case is probably just swapping the
drive. And for the future, getting yourself some kind of ethernet
adapter :)

Kyrre