Running Core 4 on laptop

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 15:11:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 16:42 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

> I did install RH9 on a laptop wich had nothing but floppy and pcmcia
> ethernet. That was quite easy (boot from floppy with the correct floppy
> disk(s) - is that possible after linux 2.6?), and then ftp install (i
> only had a windows machine aviable at that time, so no NFS. But a mac
> should be able to host a NFS share with the .iso's).

Floppy has obviously seen its time in the lime lite pass ;)

But we do still ship diskboot.img in images/ on the CD -- it's too big
for a floppy, but if you can boot a USB key, it'll work there.  Check
out the README in that directory.

One choice for installing on a machine with no boot media is to use
loadlin with the pxeboot vmlinuz+initrd.img.  Or, if you want to
reinstall on a machine that's already running Linux, set those up as
kernel and initrd in one stanza of grub.conf .

> But the easyest solution in your case is probably just swapping the
> drive. And for the future, getting yourself some kind of ethernet
> adapter :)

That's probably the path of least resistance, yeah.

--
        Peter