media check errors w/ 3.91

duralisis duralisis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 22:12:56 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 02:28:36PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Dave Jones wrote:
> > > On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:47:26PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > >  > Using -pad very rarely works, and ide=nodma only works in about half the
> > >  > cases.
> > >  > This really needs to be fixed, it's been broke at least as far back as
> > >  > FC1.
> > > As I detailed in a mail last week, there are so many variables its
> > > hard to nail this down.
> >
> > Its so prone to failure, if its not fixed by FC4 release then IMO it
> > should be disabled. It just confuses end users if it randomly fails.
> >
> > I have a feeling the failures are related to the fedora custom kernels
> > being used though.
>
>The only patches we have that could be relevant here are patches
>we've come up with whilst chasing this issue.  It should be
>100% reproducable on a kernel.org kernel.
>
>		Dave

I've always burned my images with Nero 5 or greater on a Windows machine
and verified the checksums first, then done a readback to verify the
contents.  Burning at slower speeds as well, just to make sure, and
prolong the life of the CD.  I've done this since FC1 and media check
has always failed in both VMWare and my server (an old P2-433/440LX
machine w/ HP 1101 CDRW).