FC4 T2 and Dell M70

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 17:19:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 10:18 -0600, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> Has any one had luck installing Fedora (3 or 4) on a Dell M70 laptop?
> I just got one and wiped out Windows first thing.  I was quite
> disappointed to learn sound and wireless were not supported in FC4.
> The audio is AC97 and the wireless is a Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 a/b/g.
> I have searched the Internet and found where other users were

> I am still searching the Internet to get the sound working.  The
> wireless is very weird though.  The system does not see the built in
> wireless card at all.  When I insert my old Xircom wireless card the
> builtin Intel (Pro/Wireless 2915) shows up - what's up with that?  My
> Xircom is not even listed.  I down loaded the drivers from Intel and
> installed as indicated, still not luck.

This wireless card should be supported, its driven by the "ipw2200"
driver.  You need firmware however, which is not able to be distributed
with Fedora Core.  See:

http://atrpms.net/dist/common/ipw2200-firmware/
Install the top RPM, the 2.2-5 one.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=4
OR, download the file here and place it in /lib/firmware

Dan