Stealthing Ports in system-config-securitylevel was: SSH brute force attack

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Apr 29 05:26:17 UTC 2005

John Morris schrieb:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 08:35, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>

>>i do know that fwbuilder as firestarter are in extras, but i still think, that fwbuiler is not really for newbs...
>

> Firewalls aren't for newbs.  Anything more than checking a few boxes for
> the basic options and newbs shouldn't be doing it.  If it looks really
> user friendly and stuff that just encourages them to think they can do
> it.  And that is the absolute worst thing you could do.
>
> Ok, so that makes me an elitist bastard.  So be it.

You might be right, how you call yourself is your thing ;-) But i can
tell you in a bit a philosophical way, that the firewall should be done
for newbs - they connect to the internet, no firewall (i still see this
now...) and they often never remark, that their computer is captured.
And who has to resolve it??? Not themselves, as it is easier to install
a simple firewall than removing trojans, worms and alle the rest of this
*#%& - they trust on tools and experts and experts writing those tools :-)

I deleted on a friends machine 7 trojans and 3 dialers, nevermind where
he was surfing :-)

At least, i just installed him zonealarm (yes, his a windozer...),
closed everything and explained him, how to handle that part, if a
windows comes up and tries accessing to internet. Since then, he was clean.

I do not expect putting system-config-securitylevel in this way, but the
stealthing option would really be a nice thing.

At least, 3-5 lines for an ip/ip-range/hostname, the portnumber and a
clickbox (open port for this ip/range/hostname), and the tool would be
basically able to write a rule. Or even, like open special ports one
whole line called "Stealthing Ports) in the format IP:PORT:Proto would
make system-config-securitylevel to a even more powerful tool.

or not?
Roger