broken alsa sound after 1.0.9rc2 update

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 07:52:49 UTC 2005

On 4/29/05, Marius Andreiana <mandreiana.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nothing can output sound now, tried xmms with alsa plugin and ogg123.
> aplay will segfault:

"me too" [TM].

For me, aplay does not segfault, but aRts was continually giving me
"CPU overloaded, aborting" messages. I temporarily disabled aRts and
turned off all KDE system notifications, and then logged out and back
in, and it now seems to have calmed down.

I am happy with the new "dmix by default" thing -- I'd been doing that
myself anyway -- but it looks like it's not stable yet. Anyone got
this in bugzilla?

My hardware (from /sbin/lspci -v):
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0196
        I/O ports at b800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at bc40 [size=64]
        Memory at f4fff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at f4fff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

MEF

--
__ Mary Ellen Foster __ http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/ __
"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,