smartd with ahci

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 19:06:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 17:49 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> My motherboard is configured so the SATA drives show up as ahci devices
> rather than legacy ide devices, fedora itself recognises the disks OK,
> however smartd fails to start.
>
> I did some investigation with smartctl and found that it was necessary
> to use
>
> 	smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda
>
> with the "-d ata" being required to make it use libata, so I modified
> the entries in /etc/smartd.conf to also have the "-d ata"
>
> /dev/sda -d ata -H -m root at localhost
> /dev/sdb -d ata -H -m root at localhost
>
> now smartd is happy.
>
> I'm not sure if anaconda (or something else) should have have recognised
> the ahci devices at install time and made appropriate entries in
> /etc/smartd.conf, in which case I should file a bug, or if this is
> something the user should expect to have to configure, in which case
> hopefully this message might help someone else out ...

Smartd is configured through the smartd-conf.py script automatically
when /etc/smartd.conf doesn't exist. The latest rawhide smarttools
package should configure the SATA drives with '-d ata' fine.

However if the smartd.conf exists when smartd is started it won't be
overwritten and in such case it must be manually reconfigured by user.
--
Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com>