Install of rawhide 2005-12-01 - installs OK, won't boot

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Fri Dec 2 07:05:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:35:17AM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:23:50AM -0500, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>  > Test install of rawhide for 2005-12-01 report
>  >
>  > installation: OK, no errors
>  >
>  > first boot:   FAIL, Kernel Panic...: Attempted to kill init!
>  > 		preceeded by:
>  > 			Unable to access resume device
>  > 			(This is expected)
>  >
>  > No idea what is causing the kernel panic.
>  >
>  > I had previously done an FC5t1+rawhide(2005-12-01) but did not test the
>  > new kernel before testing the rawhide install.
>
> The interesting part of this failure is the text preceeding this.
> Can you say some things about your IO controller set up too ?
> SCSI ? IDE ? SATA ? RAID ?
>
> 		Dave

MSI motherboard with VIA chipset, Celeron (Coppermine) CPU @500MHz
VIA IDE controller, Maxtor 6GB ATA Drive, Trident Cyberblad/i1 video
almost everything "onboard" the mobo.

I say that this was expected in that it is looking for a "resume" image
in the swap space "LABEL=SWAP-..... and doesn't find it, then issues the
unable to access message.  This has been in rawhide kernels for a month
or two now, hasn't it?

Now in the process of re-installing FC5t1 to test updates w/rawhide and
the kernel from 2005-12-01.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'
RHCT                   U