system-config-packages: why does it need CD?

Steve Wardell swardell at team.bantu.com
Fri Dec 2 17:28:41 UTC 2005

I'm running FC5T1 and when I run system-config-packages, I get an error:

Installation Tree Not Found: The path /media/cdrom does not look like a
valid installation source.

I'm wondering why the full CD media should be needed to load the add /
remove packages listing. I'd expect that the system would have a list of
packages / product areas stored with the installation. Then once I
wanted to add a package, it then would ask if I wanted to get it from
CD/DVD, yum, etc. I didn't see a bug currently on this and wanted to
hear thoughts on this prior to posting a bug.

Thanks,
Steve