Fedora meeting Mono Half-Way

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:01:14 UTC 2005

Hello:

I know this topic has been mentioned over and over, and everyone is
irritated by it.  But why not meet the Mono project half-way?  Why can't the
hal-sharp and the dbus-sharp, and gtk-sharp add-ons be included in the
fedora packages?

At the moment Fedora seems to want absolutely nothing to do with Mono.  Why
not try to go a little farther and include mono interfaces to dbus, hal,
gnome, etc.  This means that if someone does install Mono then all the
system libraries are ready to do some C# programming.  And if a user doesn't
install Mono, then the interfaces will lie there useless.

Look at it this way, Fedora should try to do the smallest amount possible to
embrace Mono.  Make it easier on the repositories that do include Mono, so
that if I want to install Beagle or F-Spot, I can leave the system libraries
on Fedora alone.

There are some killer-apps built using Mono.  Fedora should get cheeky and
see what they can get away.

Benjy