RPM to install extras (was Re: Dia)

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Dec 15 15:17:28 UTC 2005

David D. Hagood wrote:
> Given the number of packages being moved to Extras, and the number of
> people who are complaining about "I did a 'yum install $package' and it
> didn't find it", may I suggest creating an RPM in the main Fedora
> repository, named something like "Fedora-extras", that just installs the
> needed files and config changes to activate the extras repository? Then
> people can do a "yum install Fedora-extras; yum install $package" and
> get the extras.
>
> Then this could be added to the FAQs.

I think that the issue is actually knowing what is available.  There
are new packages being added all the time.

I like using Yumex as I can search for either features or by name.
Yea, I know that I can get a list and do this from the CLI, but
sometimes a nice graphical interface allows me to browse allot quicker
than scrolling through a list on a terminal screen.