Fedora meeting Mono Half-Way

Benjamin Youngdahl ben.youngdahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:20:13 UTC 2005

I believe Fedora/Red-hat's policy towards Mono is wise.  Looking back at the
history of Microsoft since day 1, there is little that they do
benevolently.  Time after time, Microsoft lays traps and plays dirty to face
off threats.  Microsoft is the "Karl Rove" of computing.  Including software
in the official distro with suspicious I.P. claims is just inviting trouble.

Having tried Suse 10, I would say that Fedora is remarkably competative
given the dollars being poured into Suse.  Suse's "selinux" equivalent, "app
armor", is closed-source and intensionally limited in Suse 10 to the point
of uselessness (for my needs and I suspect most techies.)  But hey, that's
the great thing about open source.  Try both distros out, see which one
suits your fancy.

Asking for the folks behind Fedora to take what they see as a substantial
risk simply to emulate Novell's path with Suse -- I'm not sure that's
constructive.  There's room for multiple philosophies in the Linux sphere,
and I appreciate Fedora's stance towards Mono.

Regards,
Ben