HPET busy, anything to worry about?

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 23:27:17 UTC 2005

I've just flashed the BIOS on my Intel D945GTP motherboard and noticed
that one new feature is that it enables HPET.

Linux seems to recognise it OK and uses it in preference to legacy
timers, but is the kernel debug output
"hpet_resources: 0xfed00000 is busy"
anything to worry about?

Prior to the BIOS upgrade I was getting messages
"hpet_acpi_add: no address or irqs in _CRS"
which was presumably a sign of a mangled/missing entry in ACPI tables?

# dmesg | grep -i1 hpet
ACPI: MCFG (v001 INTEL  D945GTP  0x00000ca7 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fef7f10
ACPI: HPET (v001 INTEL  D945GTP  0x00000ca7 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fef7e90
ACPI: SSDT (v001 INTEL     CpuPm 0x00000ca7 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fefdc10
--
Enabling APIC mode:  Flat.  Using 1 I/O APICs
ACPI: HPET id: 0x8086a201 base: 0xfed00000
LAPIC enabled (0), calling get_smp_config
--
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... Ok.
hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000 (virtual 0xf8800000), IRQs 2, 8, 0