Package updating

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:11:57 UTC 2005

On 12/15/05, Don Springall <don_springall at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly my point. You report does not mention that libgcjawt.so.7 for
> package: openoffice.org-core
> is required. To my thinking that is incomplete. Why is that one not in your
> deps list ? How is that report created ?

libgcjawt.so.7  exists in the tree and is provided by libgcj. This
isn't the problem. The build report is complete.  You are
misunderstanding the underlying problem and exactly what the build
report details.  Let me attempt to clear it up for you.

Everything that openoffice-org.core package explcitly requires is
provided by another package in rawhide. The problem is actually two
layers deeper, one of the dependant packages,  hsqldb, requires
tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api which has a dependancy problem which is
detailed in the report.

The build report does not attempt to look down the full stack of
dependacies for each packages to see if a specific package will
install.  You can not use the report to answer the question
"Will package foo install without error"
You can answer the question
"Which packages have an explict dependancy problems"
The report details the exact dependancies breakage in the tree, it
doesn't attempt to measure how many packages are affected by that
breakage.. all it does it pinpoint exactly in the tree where there are
problems.

The details of whats going on with openoffice.org-core in rawhide:
openoffice.org-core  in rawhide requires libgcjawt.so.7 and hsqldb >= 1.80.1
libgcjawt.so.7 is provided by libgcj
hsqldb >= 1.80.1 is provided by package hsqldb
pckage hsqldb requires servletapi5
servletapi5 is provided by  tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api
tomcat5-serverlet-2.4-api requires  libgcjawt.so.6
libgcjawt.so.6 is NOT provided in the tree

tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api has a problem, it is not a problem directly related to
the dependancies listed in the openoffice.org-core package.

-jef