Package updating

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Fri Dec 16 23:55:09 UTC 2005

Andy Burns <fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk> wrote:
> Don Springall wrote:
> > I would still like a reply from redhat. Is there a way to formulate
> > a broken deps list that is complete ?

> In case you don't already know, if you look in the tips & tricks
> section of http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum you'll see some
> scripts which allow upgrading all packages *bar* those with dependency
> problems ...

What I do is:

 yum -y upgrade &> /tmp/LIST
 # If it didn't work out...
 for p in \
    $(sed -n -e 's;^---> Package \(.*\) .* set to be [a-z][a-z]*$;\1;p' \
       /tmp/LIST); do
       yum -y upgrade $i
 done

But this (as the scripts on the page) f.ex. today upgraded cpp (which pulls
in a lot of gcc-related stuff), and then tries to upgrade those too, one by
one.  Ideally, after installing something it should cut down the list of
stuff to install, and if something can't be upgraded don't try the stuff
depending on it.