AW: Re: ext3 Filessyten in FC5-Test incompatible with other FC or RHEL versions

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Dec 23 02:18:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 03:31:03PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
 > On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 14:47 +0100, gsc.news at online.de wrote:
 > > >If I recall, there was a change in the ext2 utilities from FC3 to FC4
 > > >which fsils with earlier distro created partitions.
 > > >
 > > >I believe you need to disable filechecking with the entries in your
 > > >fstab  file. That is, change the last two digits in your older distros
 > > >to zero.
 > > >Alternatively, you could mount the other OS partitions whenever you need
 > > >to access the files on the common partitions..
 > > >
 > > >Are you talking about a common /home partition?
 > >
 > > Yes, and therefore, I can't use my privous installations anymore.
 >
 > that sounds nasty; maybe fedora should turn off MLS for now until
 > there's a better compatibility?

The latest FC4 update kernel can read MLS labelled filesystems without problem.
I've not checked FC3, that one might be a little more tricky, as the compat code
requires changes that have happened post 2.6.12 (where FC3 is currently sat).
Given the effort required to make that work, the limited time remaining in the
FC3 lifetime, and the low general appeal of such a feature, it probably won't
get fixed.

		Dave