AW: Re: AW: Re: ext3 Filessyten in FC5-Test incompatible with other FC or RHEL versions

Dr. Günter Schmidt gsc.news at online.de
Fri Dec 23 12:28:43 UTC 2005

>On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 21:18 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 03:31:03PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>  > On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 14:47 +0100, gsc.news at online.de wrote:
>>  > > >If I recall, there was a change in the ext2 utilities from FC3 to FC4
>
>>  > > >which fsils with earlier distro created partitions.
>>  > > >
>>  > > >I believe you need to disable filechecking with the entries in your
>>  > > >fstab  file. That is, change the last two digits in your older distros
>
>>  > > >to zero.
>>  > > >Alternatively, you could mount the other OS partitions whenever you
>need
>>  > > >to access the files on the common partitions..
>>  > > >
>>  > > >Are you talking about a common /home partition?
>>  > >
>>  > > Yes, and therefore, I can't use my privous installations anymore.
>>  >
>>  > that sounds nasty; maybe fedora should turn off MLS for now until
>>  > there's a better compatibility?
>>
>> The latest FC4 update kernel can read MLS labelled filesystems without
>problem.
>> I've not checked FC3, that one might be a little more tricky, as the compat
>code
>> requires changes that have happened post 2.6.12 (where FC3 is currently
>sat).
>> Given the effort required to make that work, the limited time remaining in
>the
>> FC3 lifetime, and the low general appeal of such a feature, it probably
>won't
>> get fixed
>
>given that even RHEL4 can't get compatibility code.. why go through this
>pain in the first place? Is MLS a compelling enough feature for fedora
>to go through this pain? Is it even used for something or by someone in
>the first place?

This would also meen the upcomming RHEL5 (derived from FC5) will be incompatible
with RHEL4 (derived from FC3) and RHLE3 (derived from RH9).

The user friendly version would be not to change an existing partition during boot
time without a warning.

As current solution I can only backup my boot and home partitions, format them
under centos4, restore the data and forget FC5.