2.6.10-1.12_FC2, x86_64 SMP: Boom!!!

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Feb 5 04:30:53 UTC 2005

Did anyone yet tried booting the x86_64 build of the most recent FC2 kernel
errata?

The last message out of the kernel is:

The next message I normally see is:

         VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

But, instead of that, my box pauses for a second, then reboots.  How rude.

The x86_64 UP kernel boots fine.

Maybe, just maybe, something went screwy when the RPM was installed, and
that particular initrd got corrupted, causing that particular kernel image
to blow up when it tries to decompress it.  However I did not see any
obvious error during the install.

Right now, it's time for my beauty sleep; when I have time I'll try to
rebuild the initrd; for now I rolled back to 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp.