Anaconda Install attempt 2/5/05

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 07:51:58 UTC 2005

When attempting to install via FTP from a mirror on two different
computers, I ended up experiencing several problems with the attempt.

box 1: (HP laptop)
1. The GUI would Lockup eventually while trying to install. All of the
installed linux versions were detected and I was able to select the
version that I wanted to upgrade or pick a clean install. The radeon
card that I have in the computer is a bit tricky and crashes with mode
changes or switching to a terminal via ctl-alt-Fn. This is most likely a
problem with the radeon driver and X.
2. When trying to install via text mode, the LVM installation is not
detected or listed in the text based installer. When I proceeded with
attempting a new installation, I noticed the lvm versions in disk druid.
I proceeded with an installation on a USB hard disk and eneded up
getting a long delay when the partitions were setup, then being
formatted. The problem with the long delay was present on two different
computers and seemed to be related to inode creation. It stuck around at
15/134 for a long time on the second machine that the installation was
attempted on. This might be related to hardware, but a mention in case
it is some data corruption during formatting.
I stopped the attempts at installing on the laptop and moved the disk to
the desktop.

box 2: (Desktop w/ 370SSM motherboard, Intel 815 chipset.)
1. The GUI process seems to be successful. This is with the Intel 815
video card that had trouble in the installer earlier. I did have the
same problem with the inode 15/134 delay. Since the disk was easy to
access physically, I checked for any strange sounds coming from the
disk, no hunting was found. It eventually made it past the inode
creation hang and proceeded to format the other 2 partitions.
Eventually, the installer crashed with a message that a severe problem
was found with /dev/sda2, which was a 20 gig partition delegated for a
future /home partition. A reboot was needed.
2. On the second attempt with  installation, I decided to leave off the
/dev/sda2 partition and only use the remaining partitions for a /boot a
/ and a swap partiton. I then worked my way through disk druid and did
not format the partitions again. The terminal during the install attempt
in the failed attempt above made it past the formatting of the
partitions. I'll check the /root directory for logs related to anaconda
and the install progress when booting into an installation that
recognizes the USB disk. This FC2/FC3/rawhide does not recognize the usb
drive, it never has. The other installations do, but I am not in one of
those installations currently.

Overall, the installer seemed to be a lot swifter in action on both
computers that it was tested on. With the dep conflicts in rawhide
currently, I did not expect a complete installation yet from rawhide.

Jim