Why is rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org2 soooo slow?

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Feb 15 09:44:59 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:15:46 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> I repeat... Why is rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org2 soooo slow?
>
> It eventually turns out some output, but it takes the better part of a
> couple of minutes (very subjective, but I managed to talk to my wife
> about something and then type this email and it still isn't finished, so
> it's a reasonable amount of time.)  Actually a couple of minutes is
> bloody generous.
>
> After waiting so long i decided to do a real test, so here it is...
>
> [rodd at localhost database]$ time rpm -qa | grep openoffice.org2
> openoffice.org2-impress-1.9.77-1
> openoffice.org2-core-1.9.77-1
> openoffice.org2-xsltfilter-1.9.77-1
> openoffice.org2-writer-1.9.77-1
> openoffice.org2-graphicfilter-1.9.77-1
>
> real    6m28.496s
> user    0m3.070s
> sys     0m0.559s
> [rodd at localhost database]$

One thing for certain, that doesn't look normal. Your test shows that the
process took only roughly 3.6 seconds of CPU time. So it didn't compute a
lot. Under normal circumstances, it would have terminated after less than
four seconds. But possible it was interrupted very often or spent a lot of
time waiting for I/O or locks. Processes which sleep often (I doubt RPM
does that) would also increase the "real" execution time. Was your machine
very busy when you ran this test?

--
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.10-1.766_FC3
loadavg: 1.00 1.09 1.14