JRE for Firefox

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Fri Feb 18 19:56:10 UTC 2005

ons, 16.02.2005 kl. 19.19 skrev Ziga Mahkovec:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 11:39 -0500, Sean wrote:
> > On Wed, February 16, 2005 10:42 am, Kyrre Ness Sjobak said:
> > > But will there be any conflict if you have 2 JRE's - Sun's and gcj? Or
> > > are gcj just there for "fedora supplied" Java desktop apps?
> >
> > No conflict at all.   At this poing gcj doesn't supply a complete JRE or
> > integration with Firefox (gcjwebplugin is still being developed).
>
> Actually, using the java-1.4.2-gcj4-compat package (which is likely to
> be installed by default on FC4), gcj will very much look like a complete
> JRE.  I'm not sure about gcjwebplugin though.
>
> As it has been pointed out, jpackage.org is the way to go.  Using the
> alternatives system, you may then easily switch between gcj and Sun's
> JRE.  You'll also get an RPM to install the Firefox plugin when the
> nosrc.rpm is built.

A bit offtopic, i know, but having some users knowing beforehand means
they can answer people directly face2face or in forums, so the net sum
of people "whining" about an issue after fc4 release will be fewer :)

How are the SUN JRE (or JDK) installed through jpackage.org? I currently
use dag wieers JRE package which works exelent and puts everything where
it belongs (not something you can say about sun JRE rpms...) - but what
am i supposed to do in fc4? And how is this "jre switching" supposed to
be done?

Kyrre