USB2 trouble: EHCI HCD died

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 4 13:03:14 UTC 2005

Sorry for cross-posting, but this refers to FC3 and FC4 alike:

I have an external USB2 hard disk and a PCMCIA USB2 controller. With
kernel 2.6.5 (Knoppix) both are recognized, EHCI picks up the device and
runs it at "high speed" (USB2 speed); on two different laptops (Dell and
Toshiba, both Intel 32 architecture).

With FC3 and the standard kernel-2.6.9-1.667, the USB2 controller is
recognized and EHCI picks up. When I plug in the USB2 hard disk, EHCI
gives up on it (ehci_hcd 0000:03:00.2: fatal error, ehci_hcd
0000:03:00.2: HC died; cleaning up), OHCI picks up instead and drives
the device at "full speed" (USB1 speed). Of course the drive works this
way, but about 20 to 40 times slower than with kernel 2.6.5. This
happens with kernel .681 as well, on the two different laptops mentioned
above.

I hoped 2.6.10 would cure this, but the same happens when I run FC3 with
the FC4 kernel 2.6.10-1.1063_FC4; that's why I am cross-posting to the
test-list. (The FC4 kernel works nicely on FC3 otherwise.)

Has anyone experienced symptoms like these? Is anyone driving USB2
devices at high speed successfuly with FC3/4?

Thanks for any hints!
Michael