3c59x PCMCIA

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jan 5 00:23:29 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 04:24, Gregory G Carter <gcarter at aesgi.com>
wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 19:54 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> >>I've got a 3c59x PCMCIA card that doesn't work with Fedora, the latest
> >> Fedora kernel I've tried is 2.6.9-1.1049_FC4.  I've tested it on three
> >> laptops that work with other PCMCIA ethernet devices so PCMCIA is
> >> apparently working it's an issue that's specific to this card.
> >
> >is it a pcmcia or a cardbus card?
> >(yes that difference matters bigtime)
>
> Assume root: su -
>
> Then type: cardctl ident
>
> I would like to know if there is a difference between the kernel and the
> user space utils to identify the hardware.

# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
Socket 1:
  no product info available

Above is on a machine running the latest rawhide, below is on a machine
running Debian/unstable with kernel 2.6.10 from kernel.org.

# cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575BT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "001"
  manfid: 0x0101, 0x5157
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

> >>The same card works fine in a Debian machine with a kernel.org kernel so
> >> it seems to be a Fedora bug not something in the kernel code.
> >>
> >>What should I do next to investigate it?
>
> (i.e. Assume root: su -, then type: lspci

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation: Unknown device 0000 (rev 01)

Above is from the latest rawhide, below is from Debian/unstable.

0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3cCFE575BT Megahertz 10/100
LAN CardBus [Cyclone] (rev 01)