FC 3 and Kernel Lock or Hang

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Jan 10 20:06:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005, Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2004, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 15:04 -0800, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> > > I have a dual Athlon that mysteriously locks up too. I've had hardware
> > > problems with it in the past, but I thought I had it fixed with FC1 a
> > > while ago, but then started having lockups again when I upgraded to FC3.
> >
> > 1) we need oopses to be able to debug this.
> >    just 'it locks up' isn't too usefull
>
> Yes, I know. I'll be placing a serial console on it soon to see if I can
> get an oops from it.

No oops this lockup unfortunately. I only saw this message on the console:

hde: dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0x21
hde: DMA timeout error

The messages didn't make it to the log on disk. I am using md raid5, so
it should have been possible to get the message to disk without hde
working. I can't say for sure if the message occured at the same time as
the lockup, or sometime before.

This was with kernel 2.6.9-1.724_FC3smp. hde is a disk hanging off a
PDC20268 PCI card.

I'm going to try connecting a PS/2 mouse to see if that makes a
difference.

JE