Kernel Crash with FC3 [glibc?]

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:48:00 UTC 2005

My home router machine was upgraded in late December to FC3. The
machine began experiencing times when it would start having a load
average of 1.00 all the time but using top would show no processes
using any CPU. The CPU indicator said that it was at 100% in user
space. No process was listed as being in device wait either.

I took the machine down and did a chkrootkit 0.44 and some other items
to make sure it was not compromised. I then rebooted the box and
watched the wire to see if anything strange was coming up to it.
Nothing. I then went and turned off various processes that were turned
on for small network usage. When I did a 'service nscd off' the box
went into a kernel crash that went on for quite some time (looked like
an infinite loop).

Turning off nscd has dropped the load average to a standard 0.00 again
so I am guessing that there is something it is doing that is causing
issues:

nscd-2.3.4-2.fc3
kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
kernel-2.6.9-1.724_FC3

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82810 DC-100 GMCH [Graphics Memory
Controller Hub] (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810 DC-100 CGC
[Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801AA ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801AA IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801AA USB (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801AA SMBus (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)

I am having problems getting serial console to work so I do not have a
kernel oops at the moment :(.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator