Re: What's starting esound?

sean darcy wrote:

top shows 2 instances /usr/bin/esd taking 40% each of cpu.

/usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 17

I think this is related to my problem where gnome won't start and arts dies.

What's starting esd? And why doesn't the daemon just go into background?

sean

I don't know what starts it, but I was seeing the same problem. My solution was to "mv /usr/bin/esd /usr/bin/esd.broken"

It seems to be impossible to just remove esound because everything, including that kitchen sink - nautilus, depends on it.

John