Re: Semperon processors

Paul wrote:

Hi,

My old motherboard and processor bit the dust at the end of last week
and so I've fitted a Semperon (Athlon changed their x86 processor names
to Semperon - Aths are now all x64) on a Gigabyte GA7N400 board.

Now, if I have the processor set at 1GHz, it is recognised as an Athlon
and will boot happily. If I switch it to be the 2.4GHz Semperon that it
is, I get kernel panics and some very odd noises from the machine
itself.

Did you update the bios ? After AMD released the Sempron line , most manufacturers released bios updates to properly recognize those new processors.. maybe when you set it to 2.4 , you're in fact doing a heavy overclock (making it almost an athlon 3200+) , which *could* be the explanation for the noises...

--
Pedro Macedo