openoffice

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:53:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:32:25 -0800 (PST), Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> Why not make both available? After all, fedora includes both gcc3.x and
> gcc4, although gcc4 definitely has issues.

how big are the gcc3.x and gcc4.x package sets?
how big are the openoffice.org packages?
Considering the size of openoffice I think it would be irresponsible
to choose to ship multiple versions of it in Core considering the need
to be respectful of overall bloat.

There is also a question of confusing the target audience.
Requiring the target audience of a compiler to know the difference
between gcc3 and gcc4 is a small burden.

Requiring the target audience of oo.org  or other end-user application
to understand the difference between the 2 versions of the same
application being offered in Core  would in my estimation be a much
larger burden on the target group and cause significant confusion.

I don't think  its really worth providing multiple versions of the
same 'large' end-user application at all. Either oo.org 2.0 ships with
fc4 or it doesn't.. it will clearly be in fc5. In the meantime the
maintainer should make the appropriate choice and pick one version of
the application to ship in fc4 based on the experience with the
codebase and the expected maintainership burden for fc4 updates.
Damned if you do... damned if you don't.

-jef