rawhide report: 20050706 changes

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 21:39:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:32:45PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:

 > If the smp kernel is to be used for newer laptops, will cpufrequency and
 > other power management options be included in the smp kernels.

They are already enabled.

 > I had troubles with the 1411 version of the kernel not booting.

There are a few silly bits right now that need fixing in 2.6.12rc,
should work itself out over the next few days.

 > I switched to the smp version and it booted, but the fan ran constantly.

No idea without more info. Was the machine completely idle ?
top output, vmstat 1 output, etc would be useful to see.

 > Also, someone on the regular list seems to have a laptop with HT, so
 > power management and frequency scaling might be desirable for these
 > machines.

I've not heard any mention of complaints from HT users of speedstep-centrino,
so I've been assuming it all works just fine.

		Dave