rawhide report: 20050706 changes

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 01:22:05 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:32:45PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>  > If the smp kernel is to be used for newer laptops, will cpufrequency and
>  > other power management options be included in the smp kernels.
>
> They are already enabled.

The cpufreq, battery applet and any other pwer feature fails to function
  for me.

>  > I had troubles with the 1411 version of the kernel not booting.
>
> There are a few silly bits right now that need fixing in 2.6.12rc,
> should work itself out over the next few days.

kernel-2.6.12-1.1400_FC5 seems to function while
kernel-2.6.12-1.1421_FC5 and versions down to 1400 seem to fail. The
last two at least booted.

>  > I switched to the smp version and it booted, but the fan ran constantly.
>
> No idea without more info. Was the machine completely idle ?
> top output, vmstat 1 output, etc would be useful to see.

The fan raced even when I was yet to log in. Top did not have much high
activity. I did not stay too long with the temps rising cpu running at
high frequency and temps getting to 80C.

Would the modules from the single processor kernel be setup for the smp
version? I tested both versions with lsmod and the outputs were the same
for loaded modules.

>  > Also, someone on the regular list seems to have a laptop with HT, so
>  > power management and frequency scaling might be desirable for these
>  > machines.
>
> I've not heard any mention of complaints from HT users of speedstep-centrino,
> so I've been assuming it all works just fine.

The person was running the non-smp kernel version before it did not
boot. Noticing it was HT he installed and booted the smp version. No
discusions continued into what did and did not work. The FC3 kernel was
topic in the discussion.
Since no reports, maybe HT and booting the smp kernel is not common, or
it works for these later processors.

Attached are the modules listed from lspci when booted into the smp
kernel 1421. It seemed to match up with the uni except lacking
functionality.

Thanks,

Jim