rawhide report: 20050708 changes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:15:01 UTC 2005

On 7/8/05, Lars G <terraformers at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 07:16 -0400, Build System wrote:
>
> > redhat-artwork-0.125-1
> > ----------------------
> > * Thu Jul 07 2005 John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> 0.125-1
> > - upgrade to 0.125 which adds diana's new icons and cursors
>
> the new busy-cursor rockz!
> thanks so much!! :-)

Actually, the busy cursor has a real usability problem.  When the new
busy cursor is active its very hard to tell exactly which screen pixel
the mouse is actually pointing to.  Trying to do ANYTHING that
requires precise mouse location is IMPOSSIBLE will that new cursor.

I shouldn't have to wait for the busy cursor to become unbusy to do
things like closing other windows, or using menus in other programs or
switch to a different workspace using the workspace switcher applet in
the panel ... while i wait for the gimp splash screen to finish
starting up for 30+ secs.

The new busy icon sure is pretty... but it NEEDS to have a pointer
indicator telling me where the mouse is actually pointing.  The
graphic is quite large compared to the 24 pixel panel or compared to
the size of the metacity titlebars and some application menu bars.  To
be able to use any of these object while the busy cursor is up.. the
busy cursor needs to have a clear indication as to where the mouse is
actually pointing.  It doesnt have to be an arrow.. But there does
need to be an indication as to where inside the multiple pixel graphic
the mouse is actually pointing.  The animation effect makes it very
difficult to even guess.

-jef"+5 points for pretty  -7 points for usefulness"spaleta