FC4 - useradd problem

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Jul 12 22:27:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 23:12 -0500, Ali Sobhi wrote:
> I just ran into this problem on FC4 that the command line "useradd" dies
> with no messages and leaves .lock files in /etc/
> Selinux is disabled and I'm using "root" account to add users.
> The home directory is created with a uid and gid but passwd, group and the
> corresponding shadow files are not updated
>
> However, while using the GUI version, I'm able to add users !
> what happened?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ali Sobhi
> Sr. Consultant - Austin Accessibility Center - IBM Research
> 512-823-0064 (T/L 793)              sobhi at us.ibm.com
>                       http://www.ibm.com/able/
Make sure you don't have any excessivly long lines in :
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/group
/etc/gshadow

I ran into a problem recently where someone had hundreds of
users assigned to a group and useradd would fail without
explanation. I discovered it after I backed up all those files
and used vipw and vigr to delete all the extra accounts, I
discovered that every user had been added to the users group.
'strace' may have shown the problem, but I didn't have to resort
to that level of diagnostics to solve the problem.

Good Luck