FC4 - Voluntary Preempt

Brian C. Huffman huffman at graze.net
Thu Jul 21 16:57:45 UTC 2005

A while back, I made a post about kernel preemption and got the reply from Arjan
that FC4 kernels use voluntary preemption.  How do I know this?  From the
original post:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/3440?PHPSESSID=0e6e6ad73b4f1426094b67a314d86d3e

It mentions that it is tunable via /proc/sys/kernel/voluntary_preemption

and that it can be enabled or disabled via the build config option of:
CONFIG_VOLUNTARY_PREEMPT.

However, I don't see either of these.  I'm running the latest update FC4 kernel
and I don't have /proc/sys/kernel/voluntary_preemption, and when I download the
source, I don't see any mention of voluntary preemption in the patches or in the
config files.  Is it really there?  Did it get integrated into the latest stock
kernels and isn't even configurable??

Thanks,
Brian